Collection and Administration of Personal Information
All personal information held or collected by the Canadian Museum of History is governed by the federal Privacy Act. This means that you will be informed of the purpose for which your information is being collected and how to exercise your right of access to that information.
The Digital Museums Canada website does not automatically gather any specific personal information from you, such as your name, phone number or e-mail address. We only collect your personal information if it relates directly to the Digital Museums Canada program and for the following purposes:
- To identify, register, communicate with, or determine the program eligibility of you or your organization, or to perform advanced analytics, provide tailored service, develop and evaluate new programs and services, and protect you and us against errors or fraud in your online application account
- To analyze how you use our website and improve your experience
- To promote, to you, our program and the projects we have invested in
We do not buy, sell, rent or share lists or personal information.
Most of the personal information we process is provided directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- When you submit a proposal to the Digital Museums Canada investment program, or provide us with information as an applicant
- When you create an account using the online portal
- When you make an enquiry or provide public feedback
- When you subscribe to our newsletter
- When you participate in a survey or research project
- When you access the Digital Museums Canada website; or
- When you respond to a Request for Proposal (RFP), Request for Quote (RFQ) or contracting services
Emails and other electronic methods used to communicate with the Canadian Museum of History are not secure unless it is specifically stated on a web page. Therefore, it is recommended that you do not send sensitive personal information, such as your date of birth, through non-secure electronic means.
Information collected from emails or web forms may be used for statistical, evaluation and reporting purposes.
Information on individual visitors is used by Canadian Museum of History employees who need to know the information in order to respond to your requests or to ensure the security of this system. We only share the information you give us with another museum or heritage organization if your inquiry relates to that organization. We do not use the information to create individually identifiable profiles, nor do we disclose this information to anyone outside the organization named in the request.
Third-party Social Media
The Canadian Museum of History’s use of social media serves as an extension of its presence on the web. Social media account(s) are public and are not hosted on the Canadian Museum of History servers. Users who choose to interact with Digital Museums Canada via social media should read the terms of service and privacy policies of these third-party service providers and those of any applications you use to access them.
Digital Museums Canada uses
Personal information that you provide to the Canadian Museum of History via social media account(s) is collected to capture conversations (e.g. questions and answers, comments, “likes”, retweets) between you and Digital Museums Canada. It may be used to respond to inquiries, or for statistical, evaluation and reporting purposes. Comments posted that violate Canadian law will be deleted and disclosed to law enforcement authorities. Comments that violate our rules of engagement will also be deleted.
We use Google Analytics to collect data on how you use our website (web analytics). Google Analytics makes your data anonymous by removing part of your IP address (the unique address that identifies your device on the Internet or a local network).
Google Analytics relies on cookies to collect information. Cookies used by Google Analytics will expire two years after your last visit to our website. For more information, consult the Google Analytics website.
Protecting the Security of the Digital Museums Canada Website
The Canadian Museum of History employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. This software receives and records the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer that has contacted the website, the date and time of the visit, and the pages visited. We make no attempt to link these addresses with the identity of individuals visiting our site unless an attempt to damage the site has been detected.
Linking to Non-Digital Museums Canada Websites
Links to websites not under the control of the Canadian Museum of History are provided solely for the convenience of our website visitors. Visitors should be aware that information offered by third-party sites to which this website links is not subject to the Privacy Act and the Official Languages Act. Visitors should research the privacy policies of these websites before providing personal information.
We tried to make this privacy notice as easy to read and understand as possible, but there are a few more things to know:
- We may change this notice at any time. If the notice changes, the updated version is the one to follow
- This notice is governed by the laws of Quebec and Canada and complies with the Privacy Act of Canada
- Feel free to contact us with questions or comments about this notice, for more information about how we deal with your personal information, to access or modify your personal information, or for more information about the administration of the Privacy Act by the Canadian Museum of History
Corporate Secretary and Director, ATIP and Policy
Canadian Museum of History
100 Laurier Street
Gatineau QC K1A 0M8
If you still have questions, you may wish to contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
The materials in the Digital Museums Canada website are provided “as is” and without warranties of any kind, either express or implied. The Canadian Museum of History does not control or warrant the availability or content of any external website or other resource to which this website links. Under no circumstance, including but not limited to negligence, shall the Canadian Museum of History be liable for any damage that results from the use of, or the inability to use, the materials in this website or linked sites, even if the Canadian Museum of History or a Canadian Museum of History-authorized representative has been advised of the possibility of such damages.